Friday 11 January 2019

New beginnings

I recently wanted an episode of Adam Ruins Everything on 'Going Green' and his ending take away was that, as individuals, we will not make any differences significant enough to make real change and therefore, our best bet is to try and build community action and inspire each other as nothing apart from big business is going to change the environment in the dramatic way we need to.

As you can tell based on the name of my blog I do not totally agree with the sentiment... But it did inspire me to get back on my blog (and Instagram page!) and get back to writing about living zero waste!

I recently got a new job in a sustainability related department and it's so great being surrounded by people thinking about the environment and trying to make a difference on a truly global scale. I'm learning a lot about our research projects and meeting so many students with amazing ideas who are applying for funding to get to put those ideas into action.

Thanks to the generous endowments to the Institute, so many projects are getting off the ground and communities all over the world are benefiting from this work. From research into preserving the Great Lakes to conserving natural habitats in  Ghana to helping build up communities in Detroit, so much is being learned and shared. And this wouldn't be possible without the one man who started it all with a donation to sustainability research... So Adam, I've said it before and I'll say it again. One person is plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment